The Camanche School District’s Board of Education held their Annual Meeting on Monday, November 16th. Please note that these are not the official minutes. The official Agendas and Minutes from the Camanche Community School District school board are available and posted on our school district website (camanche.k12.ia.us).
Items to highlight from this school board meeting would include:
- Superintendent Parker updated the school board about the number of students and staff currently infected by COVID-19 and the total number of students and staff infected during the current school year. Generally, the number of COVID-19 infections in the school to date have been lower than the percentages we are seeing out in the community. After analyzing this data, along with following guidance from state and local medical experts, and the Department of Health; the District plans to continue the use of the Hybrid Learning Plan. While the school district is not limited to these data sources in making this type of decision, the administration believes that we have been successful in meeting our goal of providing our students with a quality learning experience while providing an environment that is as safe and healthy as possible. The administration will continue to closely monitor this situation and keep the school board and public as informed as possible. The school board also discussed the impact the Governor’s face mask mandate would have upon those in our schools. Camanche Schools already has a mandated face covering rule in place, but the administration will monitor guidance from the state regarding how to best implement any changes that may be necessary due to the face mask mandate.
- Business Director/Treasurer Aude provided the Board with the Treasurer’s Annual Report. Roxanne Aude was reappointed to her role as Board Secretary/Treasurer.
- High School Teacher, Jesse Gable, presented the Board with recommendations from the Social Studies Department to update their course offerings. All state requirements would continue to be met by this proposal and the modified course offerings would be better aligned with the state’s social studies academic standards. This proposal will be brought before the Board at their December meeting to request formal approval.
- The Board passed a resolution to renew the Instructional Support Levy (ISL). This is not a new tax and Camanche, along with a vast majority of school districts in the state, use this funding source to support student instruction.
- The Board took action to allow the District to apply to the state for supplemental funding to offset additional expenses for open enrolled out students. A vast majority of these students have never attended Camanche Schools, but have decided to remain in their original school districts after their families have moved to Camanche.
- The Board received an update from Bray Architecture regarding the Facilities Enhancement Project. Matt Wolfert told the Board that there have been subcommittees formed in order to receive input from various stakeholders regarding the development of the enhancement plans. Bray Architecture will continue to update the Board as we move along the process of enhancing our facilities.
- The Board approved signing the final form of the contract with Bray Architects to work with the District during the Facilities Enhancement Project. The Board also approved an amendment to our contract with Estes Construction in their role as Construction Manager.
- The Board voted to re-elect Brad Weber as President and Peg Wolf as Vice President. Albert McManus was named Board representative to IASB’s Delegate Assembly. President Weber appointed various school board members to the Board’s standing committees.
- The Board named the Ahlers & Cooney firm as legal counsel and the Board also designated the school district’s official depositories.
As is usually the case, the school board completed the meeting by approving administrative recommendations regarding personnel.