The Camanche School District’s Board of Education met on Monday, July 19th. Please note that these are not the official minutes. The official Agendas and Minutes from the Camanche Community School District school board are available and posted on our school district website (camanche.k12.ia.us).
Items to highlight from this school board meeting would include:
- The Board approved the recommendation to appoint Justin Shaffer as Interim Middle/High School Principal, Laura Johnson as Interim Middle School Assistant Principal, and Josh Davis as Interim High School Assistant Principal. This administrative structure will allow the school district to provide the necessary administrative coverage at our schools this year, while allowing us the opportunity to hire a high school principal next spring at a time when principals are normally hired.
- The district’s Construction Manager, Estes Construction, provided the Board with an update regarding the ongoing Facilities Enhancement Project. Bids for Phase III of the project will be opened on July 27th and the Board will have a special meeting on August 9th to award the bids. Currently Phases I and II are progressing nicely. The main component of these phases is to remodel the entrances to both the elementary school and high school to improve security. Also, the high school gymnasium is being updated which will include new bleachers that will make our gym more ADA compliant. Along with this the high school parking lot is being expanded to recover the space that will be used to accommodate the new wellness area/auxiliary gymnasium.
- Activities Director Meg Schebler presented options being introduced for the new “Storm” logo that will be used as we transition mascots. There will be apparel options made available to the public soon.
- Superintendent Parker reviewed the statewide school board elections that will be coming up this November with the Board. Specific dates he reminded everyone about included August 23rd when candidate filing begins; September 16th at 5:00 p.m. which is the deadline for candidate filing; and November 2nd which will be the election with Polls open from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. The seats currently held by Todd Gravert, Stacy Kinkaid, and Peg Wolf will be the ones on the ballot.
- Superintendent Parker provided the Board with a summary of his Annual Report. Individuals who would like a copy of this report can contact the school district’s administrative center to request one.
- The Board approved the recommendation to participate in the Mississippi Bend Remote Learning with Edgenuity Consortium for the upcoming school year.
- Superintendent Parker reported that the administration is continuing to monitor CDC and state recommendation regarding best practices to deal with the COVID-19 Pandemic. He will keep the Board informed about this as we look to begin the school year.
- The Board approved the request of Camanche Days to use school property during this event. The school district has made our grounds available for Camanche Days’ various activities which range from fireworks, some events, and parking. This partnership has worked well through the years and the school district appreciates having an opportunity to contribute to this great community event.
- The school board renewed their legislative priorities for the upcoming school year. Main priorities identified by the Board include - Equity in State Per Pupil Funding; Receiving Adequate State Supplemental Growth Funding; Special Education Funding; and Mental Health Support. These priorities will be submitted to the Iowa Association of School Boards.
As is usually the case, the school board completed the meeting by approving administrative recommendations regarding personnel.