The Camanche School District’s Board of Education held their regular monthly meeting on Monday, November 19th. Please note that these are not the official minutes. The official Agendas and Minutes from the Camanche Community School District school board are available and posted on our school district website (camanche.k12.ia.us).
Items to highlight from this school board meeting would include:
- The Board recognized and thanked the Camanche Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9664 for their donation of $10,000 to the Camanche Schools Foundation. These funds will be used to support a scholarship given annually to a graduating Camanche High School Senior. The VFW also donated $3,000 toward the costs associated with the high school baseball lighting project.
- The Board thanked the Clinton County Development Association for their donation of $100,000 to be used toward the cost of the high school baseball field lighting updates.
- The Board had a thorough conversation regarding the offer from Kids First! Academy (KFA) that would allow the school district to reacquire the KFA building. The Board voted 3-2 to not reacquire the building. The school board recognizes the importance of child care, but also understands the significant financial challenges that exist in providing these services. They also understand the financial obligations of maintaining an older building as time goes on. With having the KFA building attached to the Camanche Schools Administration Center, the school board appreciates this offer made by the Kids First! Academy Board. The school district also wishes to acknowledge the 13 years of service Kids First! Academy, as a non-profit organization, provided to the children and families of Camanche.
- The Board conducted the 1st Reading of school board policies regarding public participation during school board meetings. These policies were recommended to school districts throughout Iowa by the Iowa Association of School Boards (IASB). The Camanche School Board’s goal is to protect a person’s right to free speech at a public meeting, while at the same time protecting the rights of the other people. The school board conducted a work session that was open to the public on September 18th to work on developing policies, procedures, and effective practices for boards and board members to follow when responding to questions and concerns from the public. At the work session, representatives from the IASB presented information and made suggestions on how to best proceed. The 2nd Reading of these policies will occur at next month’s meeting.
- The Board had an initial discussion regarding extending the Early Retirement Incentive for an additional year. The Board plans to take action upon this topic at their regular meeting in December.
- The Board accepted Director Tia Nauman’s resignation and will look to fill this open seat at the upcoming December meeting. The person appointed to this position will serve until the upcoming election in November, 2019.
As is usually the case, the school board completed the meeting by approving administrative recommendations regarding personnel and also approving open enrollment requests into the Camanche School District.