The Camanche School District’s Board of Education held their regular monthly meeting on Monday, January 20th. Please note that these are not the official minutes. The official Agendas and Minutes from the Camanche Community School District school board are available and posted on our school district website (camanche.k12.ia.us).
Items to highlight from this school board meeting would include:
- The Board will have a special meeting on February 12, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. The purpose of the meeting will be to determine next steps to take in addressing the district’s facilities needs. Also, the Board will look at developing categories for their annual goals.
- Superintendent Parker provided the school board with information regarding a potential partnership with the Northeast School District to provide each district with a shared-time social worker and a shared-time career counselor. Funding for these two positions would mainly come from the state’s Operational Sharing funding incentive available to school districts. A complete proposal would be presented to the school board for their formal approval at a future date.
- The school board recognized and thanked Dale and Sheryl Nissen for their donation to the school lunch fund. This money will be used to defray the cost of lunches for students who have deficit lunch accounts.
- The Board took action to amend the application to the state to receive additional funds from Modified Supplemental Amount due to an increase of resident student enrollment and a decrease in the number of students open enrolled out of the district.
- Middle School Principal, Justin Shaffer, presented the Board with data regarding the Camanche School District’s partnership with ACT testing and the Mississippi Bend AEA. This partnership has allowed Camanche students the opportunity to take several ACT assessments at a significantly lower cost to the district. These assessments provide the students, their parents, and the school district with high quality data that indicates each student’s level of preparation for post-secondary learning experiences.
- The Board approved renewing the Facilities Use Agreement with the Red Cross in the advent of an emergency situation in which shelter space is needed.
- The school board approved their Short-Range and Long-Range Goals for the 2019-20 school year.
- Superintendent Parker formally notified the Board that he will present his recommendation for the 2020-21 staffing plan and the budget estimate at the March 16, 2020 school board meeting.
- The Board awarded the bid for the Baseball Field Lighting Project to Ardent Lighting for the low bid of $288,244. Weather permitting; the lights should be ready for use at the beginning of this year’s baseball season.
As is usually the case, the school board completed the meeting by approving administrative recommendations regarding personnel and also approving open enrollment requests into the Camanche School District.