The Camanche School District’s Board of Education held their regular monthly meeting on Monday, February 17th. Please note that these are not the official minutes. The official Agendas and Minutes from the Camanche Community School District school board are available and posted on our school district website (camanche.k12.ia.us).
Items to highlight from this school board meeting would include:
- The Board scheduled a work session to be held at 6:00 p.m. before their regular monthly meeting on March 16th. The purpose of the work session will be to discuss their goal setting process and to review certified budget information.
- The school board approved a partnership with the Northeast School District and Eastern Iowa Community College District to provide a shared-time Career and College Ready Counselor for the students of Camanche and Northeast. Funding for this position would come from the state’s Operational Sharing funding incentive available to school districts and from Clinton Community College.
- The Board approved a shared Social Worker position with the Northeast School District. This position would also be funded with the Operational Sharing incentive funding available to school districts. This position will provide additional support for students dealing with issues that could otherwise interfere with their education.
- The school board approved having the district apply for a grant from the Clinton County Development Association to provide funding to continue using ACT Aspire and ACT assessments for all students in the school district. These assessments provide the students, their parents, and the school district with high quality data that indicates each student’s level of preparation to be career and college ready.
- The Board discussed facilities options that were presented by Bray Architects in response to the survey results received from the community. These options reduced the cost of facility upgrades while still working to address the needs of the district. The Board will continue this discussion at its next regular meeting in March.
- The school board approved the 2020-2021 school calendar for the upcoming school year. You can view this calendar on the school district’s website by following the Menu to “District School Calendar.” This calendar is a “Common Calendar” that will be followed by school districts in Clinton County. The Common Calendar supports students in area schools who would like to attend community college Career and Technical Education classes or other college courses. The biggest change that will be noticed by Camanche families will be a week-long spring break in March.
- Superintendent Parker updated the Board that the Athletic Director had been contacted by Prince of Peace to see if there was interest in entering into some athletic sharing agreements. Given the unknown of how the state athletic associations will handle tournament classifications in the future, there are concerns regarding the potential long-term stability of a sharing agreement between Prince of Peace and us at this time. As a result, no changes in athletic sharing agreements are currently anticipated.
- The Board discussed student attendance and the importance of being aware of scheduling issues that could interfere with students’ attendance.
As is usually the case, the school board completed the meeting by approving administrative recommendations regarding personnel and also approving open enrollment requests into the Camanche School District.